Celebrate the United States Navy’s Birthday
In the United States, each branch of the military has a day set aside for its birthday celebration. This is important for all citizens to know, but it’s especially important to those who’ve served in the United States Armed Forces or currently serve in one of the branches.
October 13 is the U.S. Navy’s birthday. It’s a day to reflect and celebrate the service and sacrifice of the brave men and women who protect American freedom on the high seas.
The History of the United States Navy
What makes October 13 such a meaningful day for the Navy? The Navy was derived from the Continental Navy which was established by the Continental Congress on October 13, 1775—at the time it was just a small fleet of ships. The main goal of the Continental Navy was to patrol the waters and intercept ships that were sent to bring supplies to British Army troops.
The Continental Navy evolved into the U.S. Navy as it exists today. In 1972, Admiral Elmo R. Zumwalt, Chief of Naval Operations (CNO), authorized the recognition of October 13 as the U.S. Navy’s birthday.
Today, active-duty servicemen, veterans and civilians alike take part in a variety of activities to commemorate this special day.
How to Celebrate the U.S. Navy’s Birthday
People celebrate the U.S. Navy birthday in many ways. For active duty members and veterans of the U.S. Navy, this day is extremely special. Some of the ways military members celebrate the Navy’s Birthday include the following:
- Navy Birthday Ball
- Cake cutting
- CNO birthday message
- SECNAV birthday message
- The singing of the U.S. Navy song, Anchors Aweigh
How can civilians celebrate the U.S. Navy’s birthday? There are plenty of creative ways to show your appreciation for the brave men and women who patrol the seas and protect American liberty. Here are just a few ideas to help you get started:
- Attend a celebratory luncheon. Who can say no to great food and great company? Enjoy a celebratory luncheon on October 13 if one is being held in your local community. It’s a great way to get acquainted with your neighbors. Since veterans and active-duty service members often attend these events, it also gives you the opportunity to thank them for their service and sacrifice.
- No matter what day of the year it is, volunteering in your local community is a great way to give back to those who served. Whether you volunteer at your nearest VA, provide transportation to a veteran or any other selfless act, you’re showing your gratitude for our heroes’ service. On October 13, strive to honor the U.S. Navy by volunteering in a way that directly benefits former Navy men.
- Get the kids involved. Inspire patriotism early by getting your kids involved in celebrating the U.S. Navy’s birthday. Try making a patriotic craft or reading about the history of the branches of our military—especially the Navy. You could even bring the kids along to volunteer on behalf of veterans in your community.
- Say thanks. If you know any U.S. Navy veterans, look at October 13 as a reminder to express your appreciation for their service. A quick phone call or note can go a long way in helping our veterans feel valued and remembered.
Whether you’re active duty, a veteran or a civilian, celebrating the U.S. Navy birthday is a wonderful thing to do on October 13 every year. Remember that all it takes is a simple expression of thanks to make sure those who served in our Navy get the recognition and appreciation they deserve.
Look Patriotic on the U.S. Navy’s Birthday
There’s really no easier way to show your patriotism every day of the year than by wearing your favorite patriotic clothing. If you’re a civilian and you want to show pride for your country and all who serve on the U.S. Navy’s birthday, The Flag Shirt can help!
We offer a wide array of American-themed apparel to help you dress for any patriotic occasion, including the U.S. Navy’s birthday. Some of our clothing and accessory collection items that might be perfect for your upcoming U.S. Navy birthday event include:
- Men’s American Veteran T-Shirt
- Men’s USA Classic Polo Shirt
- Women’s Liberty Performance Golf Shirt
- USA Twill Cap
Explore our patriotic apparel selection and fit the festive theme as you celebrate the U.S. Navy’s birthday on October 13 this year!
Visit The Flag Shirt and explore our large selection of patriotic clothing. From American flag polo shirts and button down shirts to patriotic neckties and other accessories, you’ll find any type of American-themed clothing and accessories you’re looking for! Come browse styles for men, women and kids, and show your patriotic spirit in the most stylish way possible.