Raise Your Glass to America With Patriotic Drink Recipes
Beer is a staple of most 4th of July and Memorial Day celebrations. However, a lot of people prefer cocktails over a brew. If you’re one of them, you might be in the mood for something festive on these national holidays.
You’re in luck! There are tons of different patriotic drink recipes out there—some with historical significance and some that simply offer the festive colors of America’s holidays. Whether you’re sipping a cocktail while you watch a parade or hosting a BBQ for friends and neighbors, there are plenty of inventive drinks you can serve up.
Make sure everyone’s satisfied at your next patriotic celebration by making one or more of the drinks below.
Star Spangled Sparkler
This is one of the easiest patriotic drink recipes since it’s basically a spritzer with a red, white, and blue twist. Simply combine white wine, club soda, blueberries frozen inside ice cubes and a few sliced strawberries for a tasty and colorful drink, perfect for any patriotic celebration. You can also use colored sugar on the rim for an additional splash of color.
- ¾-glass chilled white wine
- ¼-glass chilled club soda
- Ice cubes with blueberries
- Sliced strawberries
- Colored sugar (optional)
The American Dream
The American Dream is a delicious and elegant martini-like cocktail, perfect for those sophisticated celebrations. Made from a mixture of pomegranate liqueur, black cherry rum and pomegranate-cherry juice, this drink is great for anyone who loves fruity flavors. Take this drink over the top by adding in a few, small fondant stars.
- 1-ounce pomegranate liqueur
- 1-ounce black cherry rum
- 1½-ounces pomegranate cherry juice
- ½-ounce sour mix (fresh)
- Fondant stars (optional)
Broad Stripes and Bright Stars
If you’re looking for something a little stronger, try the Broad Stripes and Bright Stars cocktail. This drink features a mixture of fresh blueberries and blueberry vodka, topped with a bit of absinthe and drizzle of sweet raspberry liqueur. Add a bit of your favorite ginger beer to finish off this strong and tasty cocktail.
- 4 fresh blueberries
- 1-ounce blueberry vodka
- ¼-ounce absinthe
- ¼-ounce simple syrup
- 1 splash lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon raspberry liqueur
- 3 to 4 ounces ginger beer, to taste
Classic American Cocktails
If you’re looking to celebrate America while enjoying tasty drinks, why not try a classic American cocktail? Here are some of the oldest and most popular in our nation’s history:
- Mint Julep. The Mint Julep dates back to the 1700s and most consider it to be the signature drink of the Kentucky Derby. To make this drink, you’ll need a few mint leaves, simple syrup and your favorite bourbon. It’s best to serve a Mint Julep in a Julep cup or rocks glass.
- Gin Rickey. Dating back to the late 1800s, the Gin Rickey is another popular classic American cocktail. Created by lobbyist Joe Rickey, this drink features gin, lime juice and seltzer. While gin is the preferred liquor for a Rickey, rumor has it the original version featured whiskey instead.
- Old-Fashioned. The Old-Fashioned is a famous American cocktail featured in several great American novels and films. The drink originated in the late 1800s and features a mixture of whiskey, sugar, Angostura bitters and a few dashes of water. Most bars these days also add a slice of orange peel.
- Pisco Punch. Pisco Punch first appeared in America in the late 19th Created in a San Francisco bar called the Bank Exchange, a Pisco Punch features pisco, lemon juice and pineapple gomme. It’s a delicious and refreshing drink that famous American authors like Mark Twain often enjoyed.
Red, White and Blue Shooters
Shooters are a staple of any fun party. Red, white and blue shooters offer a quick and patriotic way to consume your favorite drink. And, they’re relatively easy to make! Grab a few shooter glasses, then layer grenadine, crème de cacao (or peach schnapps) and blue curaçao. This will create red, white and blue stripes in each glass.
Red, White and Blueberry Margarita
Frozen margaritas are a refreshing adult beverage perfect for any patriotic party or meal. To make this drink, you’ll need your favorite margarita mix along with blueberries, strawberries, and coconut. Cover the bottom of your glass with coconut margarita. For the middle, add a bright pop of red with a standard strawberry margarita. Pour a blueberry margarita on top to complete the look. Lastly, garnish with a patriotic straw and some sugar or salt on the rim for a fun and festive thirst quencher.
Firework Surprise (non-alcoholic)
Not all patriotic drink recipes need alcohol to be fun and delicious! With a Firework Surprise made of lemonade and a red, white, and blue rocket-shaped popsicle to add some color and fun, adults and children will have a festive drink that takes the summer staple of lemonade and gives it a fun new take. If lemonade isn't your top choice, you can also create this fun and fizzy drink using Sprite for even more spritz!
A milkshake is a great way to cool off during a patriotic get-together. They’re a classic summer favorite! You can create vanilla and strawberry milkshakes for a touch of red and white, and then add whipped cream and blue sprinkles for a finishing touch. Serve them in mason jars with colorful straws for a rustic look.
Show Your Patriotism and Drink Responsibly
Have fun while making and drinking the cocktails mentioned above! Just be sure to stay safe and don’t drive if you’ve had a few drinks. It’s always better to call a taxi if you’re unsure about your alcohol levels. Always celebrate responsibly!
Visit The Flag Shirt and explore our large selection of patriotic clothing. From American flag polo shirts and button down shirts to patriotic neckties and other accessories, you’ll find any type of American-themed clothing and accessories you’re looking for! Come browse styles for men, women and kids, and show your patriotic spirit in the most stylish way possible.