When to Decorate for the 4th of July
Getting ready to deck out your home for the 4th of July holiday? Wondering when the best time might be to put out your patriotic decorations? While there’s no established time to start decorating for the 4th of July—after all, the American flag looks good all year round—as the weather gets hot and spring turns into summer, there’s really no better time to start getting out your red, white and blue décor. Read on to learn some guidelines for when to decorate for the 4th of July, to commemorate our country’s birthday.
When should I decorate for the 4th of July?
Most people start decorating for July 4th when summer officially arrives, in late June. If you want to have outstanding Independence Day celebrations, you need to plan ahead and avoid setting up things in the last minute. There are really no rules when it comes to decorating, though, so put out your festive banners, centerpieces, flags and more any time it feels right for you. Americans don’t all celebrate the holiday in exactly the same way, so the time you take to prepare for it depends on what you plan to do to commemorate the day.
July 4th decorating ideas
Now that you know when the best time to decorate for the 4th of July is, it’s time to start thinking of creative ways to make your home look and feel more festive. Show your patriotic spirit by trying out these simple, fun decorating ideas:
- Festive tablecloths: Hosting a barbecue, picnic or other get-together for Independence Day? Give your dining table some patriotic flair with a tablecloth featuring two of the colors of the American flag, like red and white. This allows you to use the tablecloth even after the holiday is over. A tablecloth with stripes, Buffalo checks or windowpane designs works well with the overall patriotic theme.
- Fun napkins: Another way to make your table setting more dynamic is by mixing and matching napkins with the tablecloth you’ve chosen. For example, if you’re using a tablecloth with red and white checks, layer solid red napkins to complete the look.
- Stylish lanterns: Today’s lanterns are much different from the traditional camping lanterns of the past. Purchase a rechargeable light in red, white or blue that adds style to your table and provides illumination for nighttime gatherings.
- Warm string lighting: String lights, or café style lights, are versatile and look great in any outdoor space. Use them to create an illuminated “ceiling” over your outdoor dining space and enjoy a soft, mellow glow.
- Fresh flowers: Looking for a beautiful, natural centerpiece for your 4th of July tablescape? Use fresh flowers to create a showstopping focal point for your table. Look for blossoms that feature red, white or blue, like red-hued sunflowers or dahlias, bachelor button and blue hydrangeas.
- Fabulous fruit: Want an alternative to the traditional fresh flower centerpiece? Consider adding a bowl of fresh seasonal fruits like strawberries and peaches to add some extra color to the table.
- Beautiful bunting: Stringing up red, white and blue bunting garlands is a great way to liven up your home’s exterior and your outdoor dining space. From tissue paper tassels to pom-pom strands and fabric banners, bunting offers a clean, classic look that’s always appealing.
- Nostalgic honeycomb: Paper honeycomb fans and balls have been a 4th of July decoration staple for decades. If you want to add a retro look to your décor, paper honeycomb items have big visual impact and fold down for easy storage.
- Festive fans: The weather gets hot in much of the country by the 4th of July, which is why providing fans to your guests is always a good idea for your barbecue or picnic. Make them part of your décor by displaying them in a bucket or laying them out on the dining table.
Wondering when to decorate for the 4th of July? There’s no time like the present! As you deck out your home, make sure you also deck out your family in patriotic style with apparel from The Flag Shirt. Get 4th of July shirts for the entire family, as well as all the accessories you need to complete your patriotic outfits to celebrate Independence Day. Be sure to take advantage of free shipping on orders of $50 or more!